Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Volleyball Attack


I have grown up playing volleyball, from 4Th grade until now, my life has been full of sports. In middle school I ran track, played volleyball, club soccer, basketball, and cheerleading (if you consider that a sport). My favorite sports being soccer and volleyball. When I entered high school I had to choose between soccer and volleyball because both sports share the same season. Obviously I choose volleyball. I began to play club volleyball in the off season and high school ball in the fall. I learned more in the off season. The club I played for was about an hour away, so my dad would usually drive my sister and I to practice. Most of the time we would carpool with our good friend and teammate who is now doing an awesome job playing at another BIG 10 school. My club team was pretty talented, we won nationals in 2006 and 2007. All the girls on my team had a scholarship to play in college. During club volleyball we traveled to many states including Utah, Minnesota, California, and Georgia. High school volleyball usually didn't travel very far. We went to state in 2004 and 2006 but never did great when we were there.

The summer of my junior year, after a lot of decision making, I choose to attend college on a volleyball scholarship. When I committed to play volleyball, I also committed myself to play a new position. I was an outside hitter, but because of my height, I was now going to be a back row player. I knew it was going to be a challenge but I was ready. When I first got to school August 7, 2008 our team began pre-season, which is practice 2 times a day for 2 weeks. The season began shortly after that. The season was hard and at times long, but the experience was great. Traveling to all the BIG 10 schools was enjoyable but the games were so exciting. The difference from playing high school volleyball to college volleyball is a million. Not just with practices but games! The fans are awesome and the game is played at a much faster pace. Practices are hard, but worth all the work you put into them.

No comments:

Post a Comment